RP post: An illusion for Meda
Asar-Suti is sitting in the magic library, reading up about snakes.
In many magical traditions, snakes are very, very special creatures. Not just in the magic of Gil's world...
In many magical traditions, snakes are very, very special creatures. Not just in the magic of Gil's world...

no subject
"Hello?"
no subject
Belatedly, Asar-Suti realises he hasn't asked her name. Or told her his. She looks a bit like the Gorgon Medusa from Greek myth, apart from where in pictures, the head of Medusa generally looks a lot angrier, and the snakes are out, hissing.
"Hello," Asar-Suti says. "You've found me! Erm, I'm Asar-Suti, by the way."
no subject
no subject
So it is her!
"In Milliways, if you meet somebody who looks like the Gorgon Medusa, chances are, she is the Gorgon Medusa! Come in!"
no subject
no subject
Pertaining her hair, that is.
"Disguising the snakes as more of that hair won't be really hard," he says.
"So the illusion will be easy to hold up. The less natural it is, the more magical energy it consumes."
no subject
no subject
"May I touch them?"
no subject
"Pardon?"
no subject
no subject
Although her voice is even, musical as ever, her body is suddenly tense and the snakes hissing uneasily.
no subject
no subject
"I really, really hate being touched by people I don't know."
no subject
People are different that way, and some are a bit complicated.
no subject
"Um. I'll let you know?"
no subject
He does not, in fact, want her to take flight among the bookshelves.
no subject
He's a foot away.
no subject
no subject
The snakes are a part of her to such an extent that it's as if she was born to have them.
But there are curls, still - beautiful, blue-black, make-you-stop-and-stare curls - and for all they tell tales of Medusa with snakes, they also tell tales of Medusa with her glorious curls. She's a creature of myth, and myths are easy to manipulate.
no subject
Snake by snake, while staying the same in itself, is covered by the illusion of those curls.
It is easy.
no subject
no subject
But still there; and while nobody can look in, they can still taste all around them as before.
"That was easy," Asar-Suti says.
no subject
no subject
no subject
no subject
Beat.
"Erm -- may I touch it? It would help."
He holds out his hand.
no subject
"Hands are easier," she explains.
no subject
"Done!" he then says. "We need a mirror!"
He draws a complicated sign in the air, which fizzles in purple smoke as well; then, he holds a rather large ivory-backed hand mirror, which he holds out to Medusa.
"This is what it looks like -- do you like it?"
no subject
This is...
Worse.
Better.
"Oh," the Gorgon says quietly, hands going to her hair and touching scales. "I. It's how it used be."
no subject
Beat.
"Take the bracelet off and see what happens?"
no subject
Her snakes appear.
(oddly enough, her shoulders relax)
Bracelet on, her snakes vanish.
"It. Works."
no subject
no subject
"Thank you."
no subject
no subject
"Oh, I'm just vain. I couldn't do it. So, thank you."
no subject
no subject
no subject
"Does he like coffee?"
no subject
"Yes, he does."
no subject
no subject
"Poor Luce. He's part of a tradition. He'll be crushed."
no subject
no subject
"I'll just have to see, won't I?"
no subject
no subject
no subject